Belladonna Wars?

by on Friday, February 11, 2011 11:56
This entry is filed under: Crohn's

belladonna crohn's disease drug Hey, guys.  Long time no blog.  So, here’s the scoop-I’ve been doing a lot better since my visit with pouch guru Dr. Bo Shen back in November.  He diagnosed me with efferent limb syndrome which means that the connection to my j-pouch goes at a diagonal instead of vertical making it really hard to poop!  This explains my pelvic pain, multiple trips to the bathroom, anal cuff spasms, basically everything!  So, he prescribed a drug he said was, “very safe.  No side effects.  Can drive car.”  This miracle drug (and it is) is Belladonna/Opium suppository.  I did a little research on it because I like to know what I’m putting in my body, and also, it’s nearly impossible to get and I wanted to know why.

So, Belladonna is old school.  It has many uses, many names which include “Deadly Nightshade”.  It literally means, “beautiful woman” in Italian because drops made from the plant were used to dilate women’s pupils (considered attractive back in the day).  Although it is highly poisonous, it is very useful in medicine when compounded properly.  It’s used a lot for gastrointestinal problems like motion sickness and can be used as an antispasmodic to treat IBS and Crohn’s disease.  One compound is used to treat Parkinson’s, and others are used for heart resuscitation.  In my case, it acts as a muscle relaxant, helping my dyschezia (difficulty in pooping as a consequence of long-time suppression to defecate), anal spasms, it also helps with pelvic pain, reduces my trips to the bathroom, and helps me empty!   According to Wikipedia, in the past, when combined with opium, it was used as a “flying ointment” to get witches to their brew-ha-ha’s.  Seriously, look it up!  So, aside from hindering my mode of transportation, not being able to get this has resulted in increased rectal pressure, multiple trips to the bathroom, anal bleeding from said bathroom trips, soiling myself at night, not sleeping b/c I have to get up 3-4 times a night to poop, incomplete emptying…the list goes on.  So, basically, back to my crappy “normal”.

I can’t get it because there’s a shortage of the beautiful lady.  However, before (and I’ve only had one rx, by the way) it was no easy feat to acquire it either.  I felt like such a druggie calling all these local pharmacies and getting turned away because, “it’s a class two drug.”  Class one drugs are mostly your standard illegal drugs that they consider to have no or little medical use and are primarily used as a recreational tool to get you high.  Class one drugs include LSD, marijuana, “magic mushrooms”, meth, PCP, etc.  You get the drift.  (My research from the DEA’s website.)  Class two drugs have a use medically, but are narcotics like Dilaudid, Ritalin, OxyCotin, Percocet, etc.  You get the drift. Most of us here have had Dilaudid or some form in an IV drip after surgery or while hospitalized for pain.  It has the effect of getting you “high” but is such a useful tool for pain, it is still used.  Enter my suppositories.  The doseage is 16.2 mg of belladonna and 30mg of opium.   I should mention that in my research I found that belladonna can also be used as a recreational drug that produces hallucinations and delirium.  However, it’s poisonous and generally not worth that attempt.  I will admit, the first suppository made me kinda giggly and “loosy goosy” but had no ill effects the next day, so it’s not something one would use for a “high” effect.  However, it did make me super  happy because it helped me poop and relieved my pain and urgency.  Plus, after getting drug-induced lupus from man-made drugs, I was eager to try something natural.   And, it helped! After five years of trying, post surgically, to figure out what was wrong with me and to then find something so simple that helped and may help me live a more normal, productive life, and avoid surgery no. 8, I was ecstatic!

So, the first rx I had was a feat to have filled.  I eventually had luck with my mail order pharmacy who couldn’t imagine why I’d had such trouble in the first place.  One catch-legally, Dr. Shen can’t write me more than a month’s supply (b/c it’s class two), and it can’t be called or faxed in-has to be mailed in, by me…Who lives in Texas.   Dr. is in Ohio…hmmm. So getting refills should be interesting.  And it has been!  They faxed one in and that was denied, but I called Dr. Shen’s office and they are awesome and mail it to me so that I can then send in to my pharmacy.  I should mention that at this point I’ve been without it for two weeks and am crapping myself regularly and getting desperate.  Life without pain and pooping all the time is SO nice!  So, today I get a call from my mail order pharmacy…they can’t get it. UGH!!!  So, I call the manufacturer=shortage of belladonna.  I was shocked b/c I thought the issue had always been opium.  Anyway, I’m trying again to get it from CC pharm, but this will be the third (the other two were destroyed b/c they couldn’t be filled) rx for this in a month from me trying to get my medicine, so who knows if he can even write me another one legally.

So, is it just me, or is this totally ridiculous?  That I’ve finally found something so simple that helps, and I can’t get it because of regulations and supply problems (probably related to those regulations).   I can easily get something that could cause cancer, lupus, tuberculous, infections, the list goes on, but something with essentially no side effects I can’t get.  That makes perfect sense.

I’m going to try to find an alchemist or someone who can just make it for me and hopefully not poison me.

The lengths we go to for health.

13 Responses to “Belladonna Wars?”

Pam says:

February 14th, 2011 at 11:04 am

In case you aren’t aware, and are interested, many people are completely healing, or significantly improving, illnesses such as digestive problems, crohn’s, autoimmune diseases, multiple sclerosis, and cancer, using non-conventional treatments. I personally have been completely healed from crohn’s this way, and my autoimmune disease is healing too. My story, and all the information I’ve learned, is at thetruthinthisworld.com.

Russ says:

February 21st, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Sorry to hear ’bout your troubles, but I’m glad things are going better for you. Your Dr. should be able to help you fill his script; if not, you either need a different medicine or a new doctor!

Good luck with getting better,

Russ

Lizz Reply:

Well, Dr. Shen is the best pouch doc there is, so def. keeping him! It just frustrates me that we can so easily get dangerous medications, but safe, side-effect-free, natural items that work are nearly impossible to get. I finally got another rx filled-a month later, with the help of Dr. Shen’s office. Bottom line: It should not be this difficult to acquire something that helps you.

GregoryPeterFrancis at gmail Reply:

I was diagnosed with UC at age 7. I had my colon/rectum removed at age 16 w/ j-pouch and I am now 32, husband and father of two baby boys. Diarrhea is a big problem and never could gain weight for years until I got a fissure/cut from overwiping/poor-healing/mal-nutrition/night-soiling, etc. The most important tip of all is don’t get a cut down there: don’t let the ‘butt-burn’ turn into a cut (I had no idea it was possible, or that it would re-open with each BM, devastating pain: use baby wipes but even better I have found is a gob of lotion on the TP. -I have a referral to Cedars Sinai in LA soon, hope they will help me with the diarrhea. After years of  searching for some food, herb, etc. to slow things down I got those cuts and had to take opiate pain meds (vicodin) for 3 months. During that time I noticed that my bowel sounds/pain, and slowed, thicker BMS and regained 10lbs after the 30 I had lost due to fasting for a month (scared to eat because the poop is so painful when the cut opens). I’ve since learned of the mu opioid receptors in the intestines and that codeine and tincture of opium are actually indicated by the AGastraAssoc. for severe, chronic diarrhea. Unfortunately Dr.’s are reluctant to prescribe opiates so I’m at a loss, a lot of people on forums say it has been a god-send to them but they live who knows where? :) I’d accept the trade-offs of taking opiates any day after 16 years of daily diarrhea, accidents, etc. I’ve gained 50lbs of much needed weight since taking opiates for pain and diarrhea. Just wish I could get it without the stigma side-effect! DEA should give us a license, hello, we need opiates to absorb nutrients/water/minerals from our food. The sad thing is most j-poucher will never hear of this, unless they end up taking opiates for pain due to anal fissures caused by undertreated diarrhea (nice paradox, eh?)

sklep internetowy says:

March 2nd, 2011 at 12:01 am

i know this is not exactly on topic, but i have a blog using the blogengine platform as well and i’m having issues with my comments displaying. is there a setting i am forgetting? maybe you could help me out? thank you.

March 3rd, 2011 at 7:14 pm

You’ll have to talk to Eric, our resident computer guru. See this page for more info: http://www.jpouch.net/about-jpouch-dot-net/

l cliff says:

June 20th, 2011 at 2:47 am

i live in nys, and out in my backyard is a weedvine growing in my shrubs, which by the way, i have been unable to kill with roundup.  this plant is deadly nightshade, which i have been told is poisonous.  it is also known as belladonna.  i bet you can get what you are looking for from an herbalist.

Lizz Reply:

I looked into that, Cliff. It’s a tricky one because unless you compound it correctly it’s extremely poisonous, as you noted.  As such, most people won’t mess with it. Liability and all that. I have *knock wood* been able to get it through my mail order pretty steadily recently. It’s still a pain with the jumping through hoops, but I have a system down now.  Other than occasional antibiotics for pouchitis/Crohn’s, that’s all I’m taking, so I’m a happy camper.

Elli Saloum says:

July 14th, 2011 at 12:26 pm

I like this website very much, Its a rattling nice billet to read and find info .

junk cars and trucks for sale says:

May 19th, 2014 at 6:24 pm

Customers would know that you will readily accept any offer which will
    come your way quickly. Even though the sites are not designed for trading, some
    individuals use these sites to sell collector items. Video cards
    run the gamut from the very cheap (under $50) to the very expensive (over $1,000).

acheter maison montpellier meteo says:

May 26th, 2014 at 8:48 am

Il pourrait y de voir votre achat maison montpellier avec jardin verts puis il longtemps que vous poker en vacances facile même
    si désirs vous serez tout moment de de sa main arriver à quelque bougeoirs art cadres

maison montpellier

achat maison montpellier 34000

maison a vendre montpellier arceaux

maison a vendre montpellier hotels france

acheter maison montpellier mairie

imgur says:

October 21st, 2015 at 7:00 am

This is also possible if they offer SEO as part of their service.
    One should keep in mind that communication lines for live support
    are kept open for paid accounts, who are given top priority.
    These connections and resource sharing can even be made across different operating systems such as Unix, Linux and Microsoft Windows.

Science Monk says:

March 11th, 2017 at 2:38 pm

I have a straight ileal-anal pull-through without a J-pouch or any other kind of surgically installed pouch.  It was done 35 years ago, when I was a young man, for my fulminating case of ulcerative colitis.

I, too, frequently get painful rectal spasms and a feeing of incomplete fecal voiding – a condition formally known as Rectal Tenesmus.  I’ve found that Red Raspberry Leaf herb or Magnesium Citrate supplements really help.

Red Raspberry Leaf herb may be purchased in capsule form, as a tincture, or as a tea.  To save money, I buy the bulk herb and simply eat a pinch when needed.  It works like a charm and it’s very fast acting.  Red Raspberry Leaf can cause respiratory difficulties in some individuals.  Pregnant and lactating women need to thoroughly investigate Red Raspberry Leaf prior to any use because Red Raspberry Leaf is a muscle relaxant used by midwifes to treat women in labor.

Magnesium Citrate also works for me.  I carry a bottle of high-potency Magnesium Citrate capsules (400 mg) in my car for rectal spasm emergencies when I’m out and about.  At home, I always have a bottle of liquid Citrate of Magnesia in my refrigerator.  I use 1 to 2 drops as a daily maintenance dose, and one-quarter teaspoonful as a therapeutic dose.  You know if you are using too much if you begin to feel a very characteristic urgency to pee.  The liquid form is very cheap and fast-acting.  Carbon dioxide from the air will sometimes cloud the  solution, but gentle heating will drive the carbon dioxide out, and re-clarify it.  Magnesium Citrate functions as a laxative at high doses, but only as a muscle relaxant at the low doses I’ve outlined above.  ZMA (zinc-magnesium-aspartate) is a commercial product that contains low-dose magnesium.  It is used by bodybuilders as a muscle-relaxant after their workouts, and to promote more restful sleep.

Something even more natural that helps me is the fresh-squeezed juice of half of a fresh lemon in eight oz. of warm water.   Rapidly drink the whole glass of lemon water all at once (best on an empty stomach).  The reason you use warm water is you want your body’s absorption of the lemon water to be as fast as possible.  If you use cold water, absorption will be delayed until your body warms the contents of your stomach up.  I usually use room temperature water, and it works for me.  If you weigh more than 150 lb., you may want to use the juice of a whole lemon.  Nobody believes that lemon water works well as a pain reliever util they try it!  Lemon water is a natural source of magnesium citrate.  Lemon water also helps prevent kidney stones in a big way.

Before I discovered these natural remedies, I used to use the highest prescription dose of ibuprofen (800 mg) for my painful rectal spasms.  The high prescription dose must be taken all at once to spike the level of the drug in your system for it to work.  This can be hard on your kidneys, and it should not be used on a continuing basis.

Use of the natural remedies has freed me from the medical-pharma-industrial complex.
    I’ll never go back.