University Research on Jpouch Social Support Sites

by on Wednesday, March 3, 2010 9:27

Hi Everyone,

Please take about 10 minutes and take this survey designed by professors at the University of Georgia.  In my non-jpouch blogging life, I am an Assistant Professor at University of Georgia and I’m conducting research on the implications of social networking support sites (jpouch.org and jpouch.net) focused on the experiences of those preparing for or who have had jpouch related surgery (including the stages of temp ileo, or permanent ileo’s).  I am working with a team of Ph.D.’s from Social Work and Health Communications on this study.

Click to access survey link here:   Social Support Survey for Jpouchers and Ostomates

My motivation behind this research survey: From my personal experience with Mark and in the early days of using jpouch.org, and then our development of the photo blog here at jpouch.net, I began to realize these support sites are CRUCIAL to the coping and support through this journey.  See, back when Mark was preparing for surgery his ostomy nurse told him not to use online social supports because they were negative and people only went to them to complain.  We obviously disagreed with her and since that day I have wanted to use my Ph.D. and research skills to show the medical field the importance of social network sites for jpouch related needs.   I really want to help the medical field understand how important these sites are to healthy healing so that they will support them optimally.

Thank you so much for your time!

Sincerely,

Megan Lee, Ph.D. (also know as Mark & Megan)

Kimberly Clay, Ph.D.

Jeong Yeob Han, Ph.D.

Margerite Fenwood, M.S. Student

10 Responses to “University Research on Jpouch Social Support Sites”

Melissa says:

March 3rd, 2010 at 11:13 am

Hi,

I took the survey, but I messed up. When it asked how often I visited jpouch.net, I answered for jpouch.net instead of both jpouch.net AND jpouch.org. I frequent jpouch.org most of the time, whereas I’m not on jpouch.net a lot. I was thinking maybe there was another question later addressing jpouch.org separately. Is there a way to either retake the survey or edit my responses? I don’t want to mess up the accuracy of your survey results.

Marguerite Fenwood says:

March 3rd, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Hello Melissa,
    Thank you for your comment and your response to the survey! As it stands, you have completed the survey correctly because the questions were only asking about jpouch.net and not jpouch.org. However, you bring up a good point and I have decided to add a question about the use of other networking and social support sites like jpouch.org. So, if you would like to take the survey again it’s up to you. Thank you very much for your input

Marguerite

March 5th, 2010 at 6:59 pm

Well that was fun! I expect my reward and/or prize in the mail.

Jackie Z. says:

March 6th, 2010 at 7:06 am

Megan, Will you post the results of this survey? I’d be really interested to see what the outcomes were. Thanks!

Megan Reply:

Jackie, Yes of course we plan to share the results with jpouchers and the medical community as well.

Colin says:

March 6th, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Took the survey, Megan. It’s the least I could do for what you and Mark have done to help out this community.

J-Pouch Social Support Survey « The Ulcerative Colitis Vlog says:

March 8th, 2010 at 5:52 am

[…] You can find more information about the research and how to take the survey here. […]

mobile social media says:

May 15th, 2014 at 12:40 am

Waү cool! Ѕome vry valid ρoints! I apƿreciate yoou writing this
    article and also the rest of tɦe website is extremely ǥood.

Orthotic Arch Support says:

May 28th, 2015 at 8:46 pm

What’s up, this weekend is good for me, because this time i am reading this
    great informative piece of writing here at my house.

Podiatrist says:

October 29th, 2015 at 10:21 am

Your feet swell during running, as much as a full shoe size.
    If the injury is not severe, the recovery should be fast. Ill-fitting shoes may also cause pain because
    they tend to squeeze the foot, causing the pressure inside the increase.