The New Year’s Curse

by on Thursday, December 31, 2009 9:18
This entry is filed under: living with j pouch

newyearNot sure what’s going on here, but for the past two years, I’ve had a Crohn’s flare over the New Year’s holiday. Perhaps it’s related to stress from the holidays. Either way, it’s time to make a change. Bahamas next year!
Does anyone else notice this phenomenon? Things are going totally great, then all the holiday stress gets to you and *bam* tummy problems. The good news is, I seemed to get out of it pretty quickly last year, so I’m hoping the same is true today.
Hope everyone has a safe, happy, and healthy New Year’s!

10 Responses to “The New Year’s Curse”

Megan says:

January 1st, 2010 at 10:05 am

Hey Lizz, that is lousy news to hear and not the type of “tradition” you want to ring in each year. I bet it does have something to do with stress or being run down with the holidays. i think a tropical vacation sounds right next year. Saw that nasty snow storm you had a few days ago in portland, took some friends of mine 6 hours to get home from work that day.

Lizz Reply:

Yes, it was insane! It took my boss 2 hours to go 2 blocks, so he turned around and came back to work.

January 3rd, 2010 at 1:39 pm

Is the New Years thing alcohol related? People tend to drink wine, champagne, or in my case, wood grain rubbing alcohol, during New Years to celebrate. Sometimes booze can cause a flare, right?

Lizz Reply:

Well, unfortunately, that’s totally unrelated to this. I’m not a big drinker and it actually started right after X-mas, so in my case I think it was the stress of travel, etc.

Eric says:

January 4th, 2010 at 9:20 pm

I know someone who used to start a course of prednisone right before finals each year just for this very reason. While I WOULD NOT recommend that as a solution, still – stress is no bueno. Hope you feel better soon!

January 5th, 2010 at 10:46 pm

Thanks guys! Going in for a scope tomorrow. Blah! Oh well, just ready to feel well again soon!

January 7th, 2010 at 8:29 pm

UPDATE:

The pouch looked, “beautiful,” in the demented words of my GI. In my drugged up haze, I too noticed that I had a very sexy J-pouch. Now onto the small bowel stud to see what’s going on. Barium. Yummm.

Brevin Reply:

Sheesh Lizz. At least buy me dinner first.

Kristine says:

January 18th, 2010 at 8:26 pm

Liz, I had noticed the seasonal reoccurance of my UC flares. I haven’t seem any medical studies that track seasons to a UC flare up — but while living in it for 10 yrs it was pretty hard to ignore. My stomas nurse admitted to noticing a seasonal reoccurance in her flares too. Maybe something to it. IMHO I’d never travel out of the country with UC. I was scared to get stuck in a foreign hospital. Since having my step 1 surgery I was able to enjoy a Christmas w/o prednisone & a New Year full of hope. Sending you hope too!

Holly Hayden says:

January 25th, 2010 at 12:29 am

Hello. This is kind of an “unconventional” question , but have other visitors asked you how get the menu bar to look like you’ve got it? I also have a blog and am really looking to alter around the theme, however am scared to death to mess with it for fear of the search engines punishing me. I am very new to all of this …so i am just not positive exactly how to try to to it all yet. I’ll just keep working on it one day at a time Thanks for any help you can offer here.