H-O-P-E!

by on Friday, September 25, 2009 6:17

It’s been some time since I posted an update here. Exciting things are beginning to happen for me. In just a few weeks we will be coming up on the year anniversary of the creation of my j-pouch. After my takdown surgery in December, I had been having to have dilations on a pretty regular basis due to scar tissue forming around the opening to my pouch, but guess what? The dilations are no longer needed (after a total of 11 I think)! While I still have to do enemas to treat the UC that remains in the small part of my rectum that is left, the enemas seem to be doing their magic. I also have to take Cipro on a daily basis to treat chronic pouchitis. These things are all totally do-able for me. I feel like life is “normal” again!

As you may recall if you read my story in the past I was diagnosed with a severe case of UC (toxic mega colon) in 2008 when I became pregnant. During my lengthy hospitalization, we lost our daughter and I gave still-birth to her at five months along. Just a couple of weeks later my colon was removed. The most challenging time in my life, no doubt. But here’s where it gets good folks! I have been healing. I feel good, and my husband and I have started the adoption process! After weighing the pros and cons of getting pregnant, we decided that adoption fit us better. (Plus, I can’t go off the Cipro without getting sick, and you can’t be pregnant on it – though there may be other options, we didn’t explore them.)

While I know patience is a virtue I will be embracing as we go through the adoption process, I get so excited sometimes I can hardly stand it! I cant’ tell you how wonderful it is to feel HOPE about the future again! xSC02761

9 Responses to “H-O-P-E!”

September 25th, 2009 at 3:23 pm

*super running high five*

Emily says:

September 25th, 2009 at 7:27 pm

Cogratulations on your 1 year anniversary! You are one strong lady! Hoping for all the best to come your way!

Megan says:

September 26th, 2009 at 2:27 pm

Abby, This is so excellent to hear! You have had a difficult road to follow and it sounds like things have improved which is so wonderful for you and your husband. Keep us posted on the adoption process – this is so exciting!

Abby says:

September 28th, 2009 at 10:02 am

Thank you for the support and encouragement everyone!
    Abby

Mark Reply:

abby, see comments below from Mario and Penina.

Mario says:

October 13th, 2009 at 12:44 pm

Hello Abby,

I too had toxic megacolon. You are a very strong lady. Keep that attitude up. I have a j-pouch as well. Make sure you eat well. No fried food if anything once a week. Eat yogurt. Also immodium AD is good for diaherria

If you need to ask any questoins mistajeeksta@aol.com

Dannielle Reply:

I know this guy Mario, and he is a poser, a liar, he goes to websites to pray on women no matter who, so be careful abby, he is a scam artist.

Penina Bareket says:

October 13th, 2009 at 1:24 pm

Abby,
    Thank you for sharing your story – it brought tears to my eyes. I love your amazing attitude!

I agree with Mario – no fried food – except I’ll take it another step and say ever! There are other things you can do too to help too. If you have any questions – peninabareket@gmail.com

Best of luck,
    Penina

WholeHeartAndSoul says:

October 22nd, 2009 at 6:10 am

Thanks for the responses and the suggestions. I typically don’t eat fried foods even on a weekly basis, but when I do, I really haven’t had any problems with them. Alcohol on the other hand is something that is just no longer worth it for me. I’m feeling pretty comfortable with my diet these days. I know if I eat too many chocolate chip cookies I’ll be paying for it! But sometimes it’s worth it! What can I say?! (smile) Abby