Plaid Pantry Denies Bathroom to Crohn’s Customer

by on Wednesday, September 16, 2009 21:35
This entry is filed under: Crohn's

Boycott the Plaid PantryTime to boycott the Plaid Pantry, whatever that is. (Is that like a 7-11?). Reading through posts on the Consumerist weblog, trying to decide if I should subscribe to its RSS feed, I came across this article about a fellow IBD sufferer who was denied access to a bathroom. As a result, she pooped her pants.

Granted, it is an “employee only” bathroom, but hey, what is the world coming to when someone poops their pants because someone else is worried about… er… what? What, exactly happens if you break the rules and let a customer into the bathroom? You get fired? They steal toilet paper? Fine.

I would gladly get fired for breaking the rules if it were in the name of humanity, decency, or any of those other words that end in a ‘y’ and connote positivity.

Here’s hoping the next clerk is a nice one.

9 Responses to “Plaid Pantry Denies Bathroom to Crohn’s Customer”

September 17th, 2009 at 10:10 am

That’s when you casually drop trousers in the middle of the store.

Mark says:

September 18th, 2009 at 6:41 am

Nice, Brevin – but then you’ll be covered in your waste and sitting in jail and that would suck. we have the Plaid Pantry here in Georgia and they are mini marts with gas stations. I’ve always wondered how if you had the “poop ID card” that is supposedly available for IBD people, would that have changed this situation? Because the clerk isn’t likely going to know the implications of the card if they don’t let the person use the bathroom?

September 19th, 2009 at 7:28 pm

Oh no! We have them in Portland and I boycott them normally just b/c they are sketch. The people working in there usually hate their lives, but that’s awful. I would have just been like, “I have to shit NOW and if you don’t let me in I’m going to be sick on myself and you can have that on your conscience or on your cash register. You choose.” Or just poop in the street…

ML says:

September 20th, 2009 at 6:08 am

In Texas it is now a violation of law if you don’t allow someone to use a bathroom in your facility due to a little girl who led the fight to the state capital with the help of CCFA. All states should follow suit.

Mark Reply:

ML, Do people in Texas know about this law? In other words, would the majority of mini-mart store clerks know of the law and let people into the bathroom? Or is it one of those laws that only affected people like us know about?

ML Reply:

It would probably be one of those things that if they read the paper or saw the news yes the every day person would know. But other than that I dont much more to tell you about it.

Eric Reply:

I think that’s a great law

Shan says:

October 11th, 2009 at 7:33 pm

Tennessee has such a law…Restroom Access Act (House Bill 122) passed in 2008. It makes it a Class C misdemeanor to deny a person with a medical condition to a restroom. But despite this law, I was denied access to my local Hallmark. I even informed the college clerk of the law and then her immediate supervisor…but by then I HAD TO GO. So I walked 2 stores down to the Target, just barely making it! When I got home, I called the store owner, who seemed to care less and did not even apologize! So, I called my local law enforcement who made a “friendly” call. All attempts to contact their national people were answered with “you need to call the local store owner”.

Megan Reply:

Shan, that is so discouraging to hear a story like yours. Why can’t people just be more aware and compassionate for others – even if they do not understand the disease. I remember how naive I was to diseases though before Mark got sick, I used to be pretty harsh and closed minded about why and how chronic disease affected people. I loved that campaign that CCFA had a while ago showing people crouched over the toilet in so much pain with a catch phrase to build compassion. I can see it didn’t work for your local hallmark but someday hopefully.