Happy Thoughts 101

by on Thursday, July 23, 2009 19:58
This entry is filed under: success

This is really cool. 10 days post takedown-surgery. 5 days post hospital-discharge. Hiking a 3 mile trail with no bathroom in sight.

trailThis blows my mind, since I could not have done this prior to having a J-Pouch. My current level of energy is amazing. I don’t feel drained and exhausted anymore, so I’m pretty excited about feeling a quality of life I’ve long since forgotten.

Thank you everyone for your amazing support and I feel so blessed for being able to share this huge overhaul in my life. I can’t wait to see what I’m capable of when I’m done with recovery.

15 Responses to “Happy Thoughts 101”

Eric says:

July 23rd, 2009 at 10:01 pm

Woo Hoo! Congrats Brevin! I remember getting out of the hospital on a Thursday and having my brother in law & his sig oth over on Saturday for dinner, I had 1/2 a glass of wine! Perhaps that’s the New Yorker equivalent of 3 miles. Great news!

Erin says:

July 23rd, 2009 at 10:43 pm

This makes me happy for you. :)

Jenelle says:

July 24th, 2009 at 7:46 am

Wonderful news, Brevin! It’s so great to hear such a positive story.

Mal says:

July 24th, 2009 at 8:30 am

That is awesome!!! I can’t wait to be out hiking again, and it’s good to see that eventually it will be possible. :)

Emily says:

July 25th, 2009 at 11:59 am

Brevin, that is amazing! I am so proud of you! Seeing this feat of yours continues to give me inspiration as I anxiously await my big day. I cannot wait for the day when I can complete “my hike” and know that life will be SO much better and limitations will be a thing of the past.

Elise says:

July 27th, 2009 at 6:11 pm

I am so happy for you Brevin, you deserve it :)

ml says:

July 28th, 2009 at 7:09 pm

that is amazing! So you really can get up and go and lead a normal life afterwards. I am not looking forward to the time I have heard them say that I would not be able to 1) lift my babies and 2) work out. Thanks for sharing and continue to take care.

Emily Reply:

Hi ml~ I am a mommy of a two and a half year old and I had my first surgery June 1st and will have my takedown August 3rd. Aside from the physical pain of the surgery, the emotional pain of not being able to pick up my little one and not be full time mommy was very hard on me so I can relate to your worry. I didn’t have him come to the hospital until my roomate was discharged and I was feeling better, but I tried to make it a positive experience for him as best I could. We even got him a doctor kit so he could give mommy “check-ups.” He is very excited that my “boo-boo” will be going away soon and frankly so am I! Let me know if you want to talk and I’ll give you my email.

ml Reply:

Hi Emily, I havent been on in awhile. I think I am running away in my head from all of this as I am about 2.5 weeks out of first surgery. Do email me or visit my blog and then we can connect. thanks for understanding and I hope your second surgery went well. ML

Emily Reply:

Hi Ml~ I totally understand mentally running away from the idea of this huge surgery. I would do anything not to think about it, but it haunts. I am trying to reach you through your blog to find your email so we can get in touch. I can’t wait to connect! As for my second surgery, it has been a month of adjustment but it is truly amazing what I can due now that I couldn’t do with UC. The best part, I am able to take my son places without worrying, I have the energy to keep up with him, and I am no longer a ticking time bomb for colon cancer. Nearly everyone says it, and I am joining the J pouch family and saying, I wish I did it years ago. Emily

trish says:

August 4th, 2009 at 5:19 am

Brevin! This is awesome! I hike all the time despite my ileostomy. I’ve refused to let it hold me back. Immodium does wonders to get me sanely through a day AND emptying a bag in the woods actually is much easier than exposing an ass….But I am so anxious for a “normal” life again and have been so afraid that take-down surgery might revert me to the too-many pit stops a day. I am so happy that you seem to have found success! It is encourging. Hope recovery just gets better from here.

Kristine says:

August 4th, 2009 at 5:59 am

Hi Brevin and all, I am scheduled for my 1st surgery tomorrow. I have been browsing this site in preparation for the big day. I can only hope to come back after the surgery and blog my story. It’s been 9 yrs suffering with UC, lost my military career over it, and I refuse to be victim to this disease any longer. Well, that’s what I am telling myself, lol. I have 2 kids and I am interested to hear any stories of how to approach this subject with my children. Children’s books anyone? How about just a book from our point of view? I see there are several capable writers here! God bless you all for having the courage to share. I hope to come back to this site post surgery to find out what you’ve all been up to!

Megan Reply:

Hi Kristine, You should visit Chaz and Lori’s site, they have a couple kids and have just gone through the surgery process. Chaz offers some really insightful experiences with his kids. Also, if you write them they will respond with any questions — http://mylifewithcrohns.wordpress.com/

trish Reply:

Hi Kristine. I had surgery in May and have 4 kids(I am 34) and suffered with UC for 14 years. My life is so much better since surgery. I took my kids to Maine exactly one month post-op.Just me and my kids for the entire weekend. It was so great. Today we went to the same amusement park that I miserably had to find bathrooms at every 15 minutes. This year, the entire day, I had to search once. It has been a rollercoaster ride for my kids and I feel bad for the time I was sick and cant make up, but they are starting to see me now as MOM…..not just a sick person they worry about. Good luck,Kristine! Oh and bythe way…I am an aspiring writer/English teacher. Great idea!

Martin says:

August 8th, 2009 at 1:52 am

Now that is inspiring. Congratulations on your renewed energy. I’m sure you’re going to go from strength to strength. I’ve had my colostomy bag a few months now, and it’s going great, but I look forward to the day I’m free of it. Thanks for sharing your journey.