Therapeutic Art Sessions

by on Saturday, April 25, 2009 18:39
This entry is filed under: just for fun

Having medically induced insomnia is unpleasant (you’re a jerk, Prednisone). Sitting there on the couch, wide-eyed at 2 in the morning, you can’t help but think of random, stupid things. I wrote some of them down, mostly to remind myself that people shouldn’t make serious decisions that early in the morning:

– I must wear a suit when having my first bowel movement with a J-Pouch.
– Kangaroo + Pouch = Super Long Jump Ability, Lead Role In Movie “Kangaroo Jack”.  Brevin + J-Pouch = ??? What super power and movie do I get?
– Mental Note: Learn the language of the kangaroos, start bonding with these pouch brethren.
– If you have UC, die, and come back as a zombie, will you be a zombie with UC? This applies to all medical conditions. I’ve never seen a zombie with asthma.

Lately I’ve been using the insomnia sessions to paint. Inspired by the Healing Art post, I’ve been painting things J-Pouch related. When you’re pre-surgery, creating art of any kind is very therapeutic and I highly recommend it. It’s distracting and productive at the same time, all while stalling my inevitable panic attacks. Below is my most recent finished painting. I thought some of you might appreciate it, since it’s pretty applicable to this community:

"The Surgery", 16" by 32", acrylic and ink

"The Surgery", 16" by 20", acrylic and ink

This piece is currently displayed at the Collective Individual gallery in Vallejo, CA.

10 Responses to “Therapeutic Art Sessions”

Dennis says:

April 26th, 2009 at 8:21 am

Hey, nice painting. I’ve done some paintings of my own if you want to check them out. I’d be interested in seeing more of your work. The night’s can be a bitch and I know exactly where you are coming from. Thankfully it does get better in time.
    ~Dennis

Elise says:

April 26th, 2009 at 1:58 pm

Brevin, you are awesome and soooo talented! I know what you mean about “medically induced insomnia” I am always exhausted but still don’t hardly sleep!

I love the painting – That’s right – send that worthless colon packing!

Elise

Eric says:

April 27th, 2009 at 9:31 am

Can I order a print of this? No, seriously!

April 27th, 2009 at 9:09 pm

Oy Dennis, I’d love to see your work! Can you post it here, or send us a link?
    Elise, my colon isn’t completely worthless. He, uhm, well… I’ll get back to you.
    Eric, I’m not sure how to make prints or to “sell” them (I figure donations can go to this site) :)

Eric says:

April 27th, 2009 at 9:40 pm

Hey! I just realized that the colon looks like a J and an S. Can I use your colon as the “J” in the J-pouch.net logo (up top this page?) I think it’d be sweet.

Eric says:

April 27th, 2009 at 9:41 pm

P.S., I’d have to clear it with everyone else first. I was just getting excited. So, Mark, Megan, Jenelle, LizzCarterCaseyStephanieBoots, whaddaya think?

April 27th, 2009 at 10:53 pm

I LOVE IT! I want a print too. Love the logo idea. Do it! Brevin, you are so talented! (I’m an art nerd, so I know what I’m-a-talkin’ about!) What do you do for a living anyway? Do you sell your work? What an adorable little colon with his suitcase waving goodbye. tee hee.

Mark says:

April 28th, 2009 at 8:14 am

I think if Brevin is willing to share his colon with a packed bag that it is a great logo for us!

April 28th, 2009 at 5:20 pm

You guys are gross.
    With that said, feel free to use what you want, or we can actually make a logo from scratch with the intent of being a logo. It sounds like fun to do : )

WardHGratton says:

July 31st, 2015 at 8:56 pm

My spouse and I stumbled over here by a different page and thought I should
    check things out. I like what I see so now i’m following you.
    Look forward to looking into your web page repeatedly.