Wonderful Healthy Weekend

by on Saturday, April 11, 2009 11:11
This entry is filed under: Family

Alright, I’m just bragging now – but it is INCREDIBLE being a healthy couple again!  I simply appreciate every thing so much more now that Mark is healthy, it is like I am more alive and aware because I know now what it means to present in every moment in life.  You know, to cope with living sick for so many years, I learned to just be present because if I tried to look at the big picture it was too overwhelming at times, especially in those sick stages where it seemed hopeless to get him healthy (i.e. repeated failure of medicines prior to surgery decision, temporary and incorrect diagnosis of Crohn’s/colitis blood markers when prepping for surgery, health insurance complications, etc…).  So for me, I got a point where it was a day by day coping with the disease, and that skill  has benefited me today by allowing me to be really present in the great moments that occur now!  For me an unexpected benefit of learning how to cope with long-term and serious chronic disease, is learning how to enjoy the good moments to their fullest when they occur.

I already told you about how Mark and myself were going to be House Captains for a weekend volunteer project in Athens called Hands on Athens.  The objective of HOA is to help low-income individuals renovate their home over a weekend.  It is a wonderful service, and we took on the challenge. Mark was in charge, and we had over 50 student volunteers and family/friends turn out to help.

Over the weekend we gave the homeowner, Ms. Emma Jean a new exterior, stopped her squirrels in the roof problem, painted, cleaned her yard and most importantly, we installed a new kitchen!  Emma Jean had water damage over the years from a leaky roof she was unable to replace in a timely fashion. Her kitchen and other parts of the home suffered severe water damage, that eventually led to an inability to use her kitchen cabinets.  We were able to install a new beautiful kitchen, and the best part was over the weekend we learned from a homeless woman that Emma Jean helps feed that Emma Jean is known to feed the homeless that live under the bridge near her home.  No working kitchen and yet she still was able to feed those in need – what a remarkable woman! So, we know this kitchen won’t go to waste.

Back to my point of the post, it is incredible to no longer be so focused on ourselves and getting Mark healthy and keeping our family afloat that we can now focus on others. We’ve just had so many people take care of us through our hard times, that it is about time we can give back when/where needed.

Here are a few pictures from the weekend:

7 Responses to “Wonderful Healthy Weekend”

Mary says:

April 13th, 2009 at 8:20 am

What a wonderful project for so many of you, particularly the students who had probably not been exposed to giving back in that manner. I am really touched by your commentary on being a healthy couple, and then to be involved in something like this project says it all!
    Congratulations!

Georgann says:

April 13th, 2009 at 8:22 am

You guys are just too COOL!

Marianne says:

April 14th, 2009 at 10:31 am

It’s wonderful how things have turned for you guys and giving back is the best you can do…Thanks so much for your site, it’s helped me so much and I’m sure many many more

http://www.storenvy.com/luciennedelacru says:

May 17th, 2014 at 1:01 am

You really make it appear really easy with your presentation but I find
    this topic to be really one thing which I feel
    I might by no means understand. It sort of feels too complicated and very
    wide for me. I am looking forward in your next put up, I will try to get the cling of it!

mrdennis.com says:

July 7th, 2014 at 7:48 pm

I like the helpful information you provide in your articles.
    I will bookmark your weblog and check again here regularly.
    I am quite certain I’ll learn plenty of new stuff right here!

Good luck for the next!

shopping blog says:

April 15th, 2015 at 1:47 pm

I would like to thank you for the efforts you’ve put in writing this site.
    I’m hoping to see the same high-grade content by you later on as well.

In truth, your creative writing abilities has inspired me to get
    my very own blog now 😉

business says:

May 3rd, 2015 at 1:13 am

I do trust all of the concepts you’ve presented on your post.

They’re really convincing and can definitely work.

Still, the posts are very short for newbies. May just you please prolong them a little from subsequent time?
    Thank you for the post.