Greetings from the West Coast.

by on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 17:13

rosesSo it’s been a while since I’ve gotten my blog on. As most of you know, I was once a semi-obsessive poster, so least you fear I’d fallen off the face of the earth, I’ve reappeared to tell you that, no, I haven’t, I’ve just moved.  Cross country in fact, to Oregon. It’s really beautiful out here, (in Portland, to be precise).  My fiance got a job here last fall.  I’d visited five or six times, and on March 7 made the move.  My mini wiener dog, Ellie, accompanied me on the wild, wild West trip. She was wonderful, but the trip was hellacious. Suffice it to say that I arrived a day late, totally exhausted both mentally and physically, fed up, with broken spirits and suitcases, but otherwise wholly here! The first two days were rough for me. It was a more stressful physical trip than I’d anticipated. (This, I blame solely on Delta.) I’ve been here just over two weeks, and have since had a great time getting the new place set-up, exploring, and enjoying being in the same city with my man again. I did all the necessary doc stuff; got set up with a new GI here, who I will see in early April.

Now comes the really fun part…Rob and I both got a horrible stomach virus (the hearty west coast kind) over the past weekend, and it nearly demolished me. No colon and still rollin’, yes I am, but no colon+Crohn’s+Exorcist style puking and shatting for 3 days left me with little “roll” left.  Rob took me to the ER last night and I was promptly met with IV fluids and anti-nausea meds. I finally started feeling and looking more like myself again after two bags of fluids, but I made a total rookie mistake in waiting way too long to go to the ER. I remember when I first had this surgery, my wonderful surgeon told me explicitly, “If you ever get sick with vomiting and diarrhea, you must go to the ER ASAP to get IV fluids.” I pushed this to the back of my brain, thinking as I was gasping for breath and grasping at straws, “I can do this, I’m still drinking plenty.” But I couldn’t keep anything “in” for very long. When the vomiting eventually stopped, the literal watery diarrhea did not. Every time I stood up and took a step or two the room began to spin and my heart thumped so loud and hard in my chest I knew I had to stop being so damn stubborn and get my butt to the ER, as my ever wise Dr. Wise told me so long ago.

So, kids, no colon? Puking? Shitting your brains out? Don’t be a fool. Get your butt to the ER ASAP and get some fluids flowing through those veins. You’ll be glad you did.

I feel much better today, however still like I’m a little slow or off just a tad. It kind of feels like every thing is going in slow motion or maybe I’m just dazed and confused?

So send good vibes westward and heed my advice.  We are all too familiar with the suck factor of the  ER, but sometimes, it’s where you really need to be.

5 Responses to “Greetings from the West Coast.”

Megan says:

March 25th, 2009 at 6:53 pm

Yeah!Lizz is back! Oh yes, that journey for us from west to south was made in December and it was long. We are so glad you made to P-town safely and are doing well. You have arrived when the place becomes insanely beautiful with flowers and spring and all the pasty Oregonians bring their non-sun soaked bodies out for viewing in mass. We loved living in Oregon so enjoy enjoy. What neighborhood are you in?

Sorry to hear about your deal with the CD, boy, it just doesn’t give you a reprive for long, but somehow you always stay so upbeat.

If you want me to hook you up with a close girlfriend of mine who is a P-town native, let me know and you two could facebook. She’d be a great contact for you for learning about the town, people meeting and more.

March 25th, 2009 at 7:29 pm

Thanks, girl! Yes! I would LOVE to meet a girlfriend of yours! We are in Goose Hollow. It’s downtown-ish, close to PGE Park, close-ish to the NW. (I’m still learning my way around, obviously!) Who did Mark see for GI when he was here?

seo says:

August 20th, 2014 at 1:53 pm

My brother suggested I would possibly like this blog.
    He was entirely right. This put up truly made my day. You can not consider simply how so much time I
    had spent for this information! Thank you!

Charles says:

April 30th, 2015 at 6:42 pm

Great weblog right here! Also your website rather a lot
    up very fast! What host are you using? Can I am getting your affiliate link for your host?
    I wish my website loaded up as quickly as yours lol

Andy says:

May 24th, 2015 at 10:31 am

I think everything published made a great deal of sense.
    But, think on this, what if you added a little content?
    I ain’t suggesting your information is not solid, but suppose you added something
    that grabbed a person’s attention? I mean Jpouch Life: Stories of Colitis, Crohn’s,
    IBD, Ostomy, Ileostomy & J-Pouch Surgery from around the world is a little vanilla.

You should glance at Yahoo’s front page and note how they create news titles to get viewers to open the links.
    You might add a related video or a related picture or two to
    get people excited about everything’ve written. Just my opinion, it would bring your
    posts a little livelier.