Open Thread: ask me your toughest questions

by on Friday, February 20, 2009 4:09
This entry is filed under: open thread

open-threadHere’s the deal: my wife is a doctor, I hang out with doctors all the time. Sometimes I hang out with nurses and PAs too, but mainly doctors. I’m a web architect and technology enthusiast. So let ‘er rip: medical questions you can’t find answers to on Google? I gotcha covered (and by me, I mean I’ll ask the doctor).

Ideas for the layout of this website? I can handle that, too.

What is the best iPhone app to track your poo? I have tons of recommendations.

Sex? Sex with a “poo-bag”? Sex with a Jpouch? There are a few positions that work best.

Clothes? I found overalls worked the best for me. I actually made my own pair of pants tailored to my appliance. Go on, ask me.

What’s your secret, ‘I ate something wrong today’ and need to ‘re-align the planets’ food? I’ll tell you my answer if you ask. Seriously I have one food that will slow it all down (for me) and let me start over.

What can you drink, alcohol-wise? Coffee? I love coffee, I love wine, I like beer. I have your answers, and I can still put back a few. Ask me your questions.

Why is that one guy on this site so dog-gone funny? Well, I can answer most of your questions.

Leave a comment with your thoughts for this site or questions for me, my doctor-wife, or for anyone else on this site. Then check back on Monday for answers compiled as a post.

Happy Friday everyone!

10 Responses to “Open Thread: ask me your toughest questions”

superman says:

February 20th, 2009 at 4:35 am

Okay, here goes. I have had my colon and rectum removed and a internal pouch formed, this means there should be a good deal of extra space internally, does this mean my internal organs can now flop about a bit more than they used? Does anything fill this space? If so what and how long does it take to fill it up?

Clark

Jenelle says:

February 20th, 2009 at 6:47 am

Oh, you may regret this! Two immediate questions:

1. How long after surgery should you wait to have sex (as a women)? I have read 6 weeks on the mayo clinic website, but the surgeon didn’t even mention anything to me.

2. Should the J-pouch produce discharge? Post surgery two, I have a loop ileostomy & the bleeding from the rectal stump has stopped, but there is still some sort of liquid.

Marianne says:

February 20th, 2009 at 3:27 pm

I will take you up on your offer to answer questions on the following: (1) SEX: with a bag and Jpouch and best positions…tell me more (2) alcohol and coffee: what can you handle and how often, wine (does it make a difference white or red and how much is ok) (3) what is the secret food that slows you down? We love the funny guy and funny girl and and you for all time and expertise you put in this site and Mark and Megan and everyone sharing their experience. It’s a great site! Thanks for any information you are willing to share on my questions. Marianne

February 20th, 2009 at 8:30 pm

Uhm. They… they have poo tracking iPhone apps? Go on…

Dennis says:

February 21st, 2009 at 7:26 am

Hi Eric, I’ve heard of some people getting what they call an s-pouch or a w-pouch instead of a j-pouch. There’s not much information out there about what these things are so maybe you know the answer.
    ~Dennis

jm says:

February 21st, 2009 at 3:00 pm

Dennis,
    The s-pouch and w-pouch are variations on the design of the pouch. The s-pouch was the original design, pioneered by Sir Alan Parks at St. Marks Hospital, it is a 3 limbed design. It has a long efferent limb and this has proved to be problematic and as a result the s-pouch is rarely made these days. The 2 limbed j-pouch was designed by a chap in Japan (Utsunimiya) a couple of years after Parks published his original paper and its simpler design with fewer problems has led to it becoming the most common design. The w-pouch is a 4 limbed pouch with a larger capacity than a j-pouch, but they are difficult to construct and most surgeons believe the benefits are outweighed by the difficult construction and some of the problems people have with them. Professor Robin Phillips, an associate of Sir Alan Parks was one of the few surgeons in the UK who performed these regularly.

This page http://www.surgery.wisc.edu/general/patients/pouch3.shtml should give you an idea of how the different types are formed.

JM

jm says:

February 21st, 2009 at 3:16 pm

Jenelle,
    Passing mucous from the pouch whilst it is defunctioned is really common, I used to need to empty my pouch more often when I had the stoma than I do now it is gone, that’s always seemed a bit crazy to me. They do a pretty good job of answering this and other common questions at http://www.iasupport.org/pouch_faq.aspx.

JM

Eric says:

February 21st, 2009 at 7:19 pm

Great questions, all. I look forward to answering them! Keep ’em coming…

superman says:

February 22nd, 2009 at 3:17 am

Here’s an offbeat question for you, as I get older the amount of hair growing in my nose is steadily increasing. What does nature have in store for me in my latter years that demands large amounts of nasal hair?

Clark