Abby’s Hot Air Abdomen

by on Friday, January 30, 2009 16:36
This entry is filed under: procedures

tn_1_06_ha3_010a
I went in for my third outpatient dilation and pouchoscopy this morning. (I had an additional one done in my doctor’s office without meds – not fun!) I think I have the drill down now. Everyone in the clinic knew my name and greeted me. I filled out the same paper work (for the third time!), went back to the prep area, changed into the beautiful hospital gown, got my warm blanket and waited. The nurse poked me in the arm and hooked up my IV (left a bruise today).
I still got a little nervous as I laid on the table in the exam room just before the procedure began. Then when the drugs kicked in I relaxed. My memory gets a little foggy, but I remember telling my doctor a couple of times in a bit of a panicked voice, “Oh, that hurts!” She was so kind though and encouraged me and told me everything she was doing. For some reason today I had a LOT more gas when I got home. It was like a hot air balloon was in my stomach. After attempting to let it all out, I crashed on the couch and slept for FOUR hours!!
My doctor told me the hole to my pouch had constricted and closed up (not totally) again since last week. I knew that. I could tell. Last night and the night before when I went to the bathroom I had to strain so much to have a BM that my obliques were aching, even after I was done in the bathroom. But I felt some improvement during the week. So I’m just going to keep on hoping that this works.

8 Responses to “Abby’s Hot Air Abdomen”

January 30th, 2009 at 9:16 pm

You have to love those designer hospital gowns. In your overpriced face, Armani!
    Oh, and mad props to the warm blankets. I’m inspired to write deep poetry expressing my love for that warm fuzzy feeling they give me and the heartache that comes when they go back to normal room temperature (breakups ain’t easy).
    With that said, please don’t mock the new guy for asking: what is a dilation?

WholeHeartAndSoul says:

January 31st, 2009 at 7:56 pm

I remember the first time a nurse offered me a warm blanket – oh that was a wonderful discovery! Dilation in my situation is referring to when my doctor stretches the opening to my j-pouch. Apparently there is scar tissue at the opening to my pouch that causes the hole to constrict and make bowel movements very painful and difficult. So my doctor goes in and basically tears the tissue so it will open to the size that it should. Unfortunately the tissue for me keeps closing up as it heals so I have to have the dilations done regularly in the hopes that one day the hole will be as it should. Otherwise I’m looking at another surgery to revise my pouch and the opening. At least that’s what I’ve been told is going on! -Abby

February 5th, 2009 at 2:26 pm

Yes…dilation. Been there. Abby, have you had the balloon dilation yet? They do it in the OR and it solved my stricture problem once and for all. *Knock wood!* (IBD has turned me into a superstitious/paranoid woman!)

James says:

June 2nd, 2009 at 1:33 pm

Trust me I know what your going through. I’ve gone through several dialations of the j-pouch. I’ve lived with my pouch for 14 years I’m only 30 years old. It gets so frustrating just when your think your good somehow it comes back again and it gets constricted again. Right now I’m having pains and will probably have to go and get the dialation done soon. Anyone know any doctors in new jersey that do this? I have one but he’s not the most gentle (I hate those examinations!!!). Please let me know and hope everyone is happy and healthy.

Kim B says:

November 25th, 2009 at 11:55 am

Can anyone tell me more about needing dialation, I think I need that. Ihad to be dialated right after second surgery, have not been back to doctor since, that has been 5 years, my surgen is 1500 miles away. any info would be great

James says:

November 25th, 2009 at 12:49 pm

I would contact your nearest gastro surgeon and make an appointment right away!!! Trust me you don’t want to let it linger it’s just going to get worse and make you feel worse. My doctor suggested I get it done every 6-12 months if needed so 5 years is al ot of time not to get it done. If your having problems using the bathroom consistantly and are having bad cramping pains I would suggest getting the procedure done. It’s a quick 20 minute procedure they put you under they dialate you and presto you’ll feel 100% instantly. I’ve had it done so many times I can’t even count and I thank god everytime I get the procedure done.

Kim B Reply:

Thank you so much for the feed back!! I called the Mayo Clinic in AZ to see if I can get looked at. I thought this was just something I had to live with, you know the price of having a j-pouch. I hope they give me some hope. There is a airline company I can fly to AZ from Montana $39 one way. I’m going soon as I can get in.

Mark Reply:

You may also want to go visit http://www.jpouch.org and ask over there, I know they have people who are dealing with dialations. I do some people get their own dialation kit and do it themselves at home. Good luck and hang in there.