Abby's Story

by on Sunday, January 18, 2009 15:16
This entry is filed under: Coping/Support

The photo is of our dog Django and went with me in 8x10 format and hung on my hospital wall thanks to my husband!

My name is Abby. I”m 33 years old. In March of 2008 I was four months pregnant with my first baby and ended up in the hospital because I was having bloody diarrhea close to twenty times a day. No one knew what was going on. After five days of being in the hospital and all kinds of tests coming back negative my OB called in the GI doc to check me out. He met with me and talked to me about my symptoms. He told me my situation could be “life or death.” He talked to me about ulcerative colitis and toxic mega colon. I had never heard of these things before. I”m an educated woman, but I”m embarrassed to say I didn”t even know that my colon was the same thing as my large intestine.

My mom told me at that time that when she was my age she had been diagnosed with colitis, online casino nbso treated for it, and never had any problems with it again. My GI doc said that what probably happened was that I had a genetic predisposition to UC and the changes in my immune system as a result of my pregnancy brought on this full blown flare. More tests were done – tests that put my baby at risk. I was put on steroids and was told that they would be safe for my baby. Not long after the first round of treatment my doctor told me my nutrifill (sp?) numbers showed that I was steroid resistant. He said because I was pregnant my treatment options were limited. There weren”t many hospitals in the country that would take me to treat me. Fortunately for me, there was a hospital in the city in which I live (an excellent hospital) that would take me and treated me with cyclosporine and steroids. Within just a few weeks I put on 100 pounds of fluid while I was hospitalized. I was told I couldn”t eat and was put on TPN to nourish my baby and me. My weight gain caused me to go into a diabetic state and caused my blood pressure to raise so I was getting shots to keep it controlled.

At five months pregnant my husband and I lost our baby girl – Harper Lee. A few days after giving still birth to her (April 22, 2008), the number of bowel movements decreased to a safe enough level for me to be discharged home after about four weeks in the hospital.  Read the rest of my story click here: Abby”s full story .

These posts might also help out:

You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

2 Responses to “Abby's Story”

  1. avatar

    Mary says:

    January 18th, 2009 at 6:01 pm

    Thank you for sharing your story Abby – I am so sorry for the loss of your baby. Your family has endured so much in such a short period of time and it was all so unexpected for you. Did it turn out that you had toxic megacolon and that was why your colon had to come out so quickly?


  2. avatar

    WholeHeartAndSoul says:

    January 18th, 2009 at 8:45 pm

    Hi Mary. No, I didn’t have toxic megacolon. My GI doc said I was a one in a million case, I think because the disease hit me so quickly and so severely. There are so many women out there who have lost children, another area that is under-represented in the healing community. I’m thankful for how the internet has connected us.


Leave a Reply