Movies that make you smile

by on Monday, January 12, 2009 16:01

In Jenelle’s last post she brings up a great point about coping and how her partner would help her find funny or light distractions when she was blue. I love the idea of sharing movies or books that make us smile. For me it is always a great love story and some of mine include (with links to trailers of the films):

Chocolat (2000)
Dangerous Beauty
The Notebook
Best in Show
Like Water for Chocolate/Como Agua Para Chocolate (1992)
Marie Antoinette (2006)
Moulin Rouge (2001)

As for Mark I know some of his feel good films are:

Office Space
O Brother, Where art thou?
Amelie
Four Rooms
50 First Dates

So, what are your safe feel good movies?

7 Responses to “Movies that make you smile”

Jenelle says:

January 12th, 2009 at 6:03 pm

Great idea! Musicals are my guilty pleasure, so movies like The Sound of Music and Grease are very enjoyable. For a good girly movie, I loved Legally Blonde. I generally watch a lot of indie or foreign films which often don’t have a very light tone, but two lighter movies that I’ve enjoyed relatively recently are Little Miss Sunshine and Juno.

While sick last time, I watched a lot of series as well. Gilmore Girls, Sex & The City, Weeds, and Arrested Development were among the favourites.

JustStoppingBy says:

January 12th, 2009 at 8:05 pm

This is a great idea! I, too, like the artsy films normally but found myself going to Disney and more fell good things for when I was sick. Chicago, Collateral, Around the World in 80 Days, and HBO: Angels in America, 6 Feet Under, and the Wire all went down easy.

Brenda says:

January 13th, 2009 at 7:53 am

I wish I had had a list like this for any one of my five hospital stays. This is a great idea. I watched a LOT of tv, wand I don’t nornally watch tv. I found myself watching hunting shows (i’m normally opposed to hunting – very odd! But it was fascinating to watch the skill involved in hunting elk by bow in northern Canada.) Anyway, one movie I did watch and enjoy was The Notebook – as it was on TV. It was a good chick flick feel good movie. I also watched Mean Girls as it was on my iPod and Pirates of the Caribbean. I don’t recommend Battle of Algiers, which I attempted to watch in an attempt to feel intellectual. In my drug-altered state I only made it about 20 minutes into the film and had no idea what was going on. I’ll add some more if i think of them!

January 13th, 2009 at 5:04 pm

Oooh, I like the really goofy ones. Namely, “Dumb and Dumber.” That makes me laugh no matter what. I also remember watching “Who Framed Roger Rabbit” one time when I was in the hospital. “Forgetting Sarah Marshall” is also quite hilarious, albeit slightly raunchy.

January 13th, 2009 at 5:05 pm

And “Shine”. I forgot that one. SUCH a good movie. Geoffrey Rush. Very sweet and inspiring.

Eric says:

January 15th, 2009 at 4:46 pm

I agree, Lizz, sometimes the goofier the better! Great list.

link says:

February 8th, 2016 at 10:40 am

There is definately a great deal to know about this
    topic. I really like all of the points you have made.