Mark’s 15 Month Jpouch Update

by on Sunday, January 4, 2009 19:56
This entry is filed under: Photos

Well, I am 15 months out now from my takedown surgery and things seem to still be working more or less flawlessly. I don’t really have much new to report that I didn’t say in my 9 month update. The one thing I can report about living with a jpouch is that of the pouch’s adaptability. For 5 of the last 6 months Megan and I have sold a house in a slow market, finished a doctorate degree, closed up a small business, dealt with all the ins and outs of moving across country, the holidays, and living with Megan’s mom on top of it all. My point, all of these things add up to a lot of stress, a poor diet, and almost no time to relax. But, my jpouch never skipped a beat. Sure, there may have been a few extra BM’s, more liquid, and occasional mild butt burn, but nothing that would keep me from doing all the things I needed to get done or regretting my decision to have the surgery.

Below are some photo updates at the 15 month point about what my scars look like. The little bulge on stomach around the ex-stoma area seems to be settling down and not as bulbous as it was in the 9 month photos.

21 Responses to “Mark’s 15 Month Jpouch Update”

Mark says:

January 6th, 2009 at 7:46 am

Hi Marianne,
    I am so suprised at how well my scars have turned out. And it seems even from the 9 month update that the “bulge” I had around my stoma site seems to be going down as well a little. Carter had his done open and his scars are really minimal and look good after healing up. We would love to share your story whenever you are ready, every story is unique, but always seems someone else is dealing with something similiar. When you are ready just send us an email mdhilton@gmail.com. Do keep us posted on your recovery! Mark

Debora Herrick says:

March 21st, 2009 at 8:57 pm

Thank you for your postings. My son has UC and is going to have his take down soon. He is 16 years old and it has been very stressful. Your photos and info provided have helped him and have helped me know what is going to happen. I just pray that it works for him, he is just a kid. He has not been in school all year long due to his illness. Thank you again.

Mark says:

March 26th, 2009 at 2:42 pm

Hi Debora, Hopefully this will bring him back his young life! Although the surgeries and this process is draining and difficult is does warrant good results for the majority of people having it. Also, be sure your family knows about the other young people dealing with this, like Gil at 16years old having all the surgeries, http://www.jpouch.net/photos/photos-gil-16yrsold/ Casey in her late teens had the surgery and doing so well, http://www.jpouch.net/2008/11/23/hieveryone/
    And Carter is in his early 20s and got his life back, http://www.jpouch.net/photos/carters-surgery-photos/

Ryan says:

June 30th, 2009 at 2:49 pm

Hey Mark – I keep forgetting to give you a quick comment but I loved your website with the updates. When I was trying to decide on surgery or not I used a lot of the pics you posted to easy my mind and prepare me for the body changes I would undergo. I unfortantly had to have my done in 3 surgery’s and the 2nd one had to be done open (scar tissue from the first lapro must have been pretty bad) Long story short. I’m doing GREAT!!!!. I even had a small issue with pouchitis and didn’t even realize until they gave me some meds to clear things up. Now I’m doing better then I ever thought it would be. Again THANKS for the updates and the pics. I wish I would have thought about doing this when I was going through my surgery.

Mark Reply:

Ryan, glad to hear you are doing GREAT!!! That is awesome to hear, and so happy the photos and all helped you out – that was the point of sharing them. I’ve had two bouts of pouchitis and find it is a small price to pay for not having UC any longer. Keep us posted on your health!

Linda Godfrey says:

July 14th, 2009 at 6:57 pm

Hi Mark, my son had UC and then the full list of operations through to take-down surgery. He’s now moved to Australia with his partner and back at work and doing well. Just wanted to say thanks to you and your partner for documenting your story as it has helped us all to understand what to expect for our son and his future. The photos are great as we new exactly what things would look like on the way through. Best wishes to you and your family for the future.

Mark Reply:

Linda, Thank you so much for the kind words, we are so glad the site helped your family – that is why we do it! I’m happy to hear your son is back and work and doing well, and living in Australia can’t be bad at all :) He sounds lucky to have such a caring Mom. Hope you are well. Mark

J-pouch Life says:

October 24th, 2009 at 8:16 pm

[…] nothing much has changed about my physical look (scars) and how my body feels andacts fromthe 15 – month jpouch update.  Although, below is a recent photo of what my scars look like, I know some of you have asked how […]

Helen says:

November 27th, 2010 at 6:49 pm

I just wanted to say thank you to you and Megan for the producing this blog. The detail in the posts is really helpful, as are the photos, and I am 100x more reassured about having my takedown in the New Year after reading your story. Thank you again. Helen, UK

lauren laila says:

October 18th, 2011 at 8:43 am

I got my j puch september 6…..i am not adjusting well to the loop stoma and want it GONE. I want the ostomy take down in november so i can return to school in Janurary….is that realistic??

ilona says:

October 18th, 2011 at 9:54 am

HI lauren, I got my stoma 29th of april and i hated it too then they also made the pouch. on the 29th July the pouch is workingand on the 8h of august I feld ok to look for a job. So I did it really quick. I go i think 6 times a day to the toilet so iám really happy with it

lauren laila Reply:

Thank yu for ur response. im glad ur doing well with your pouch :) . Im trying to figure out how i can convince my surgeon that i will be ready for the ostomy removal by next month now…

lauren laila Reply:

Oh wow…..thanks again….tht really helped put things into perspective…..i guess ill be patient and wait until december for the 3 month mark

ilona says:

October 18th, 2011 at 10:56 am

Hi, that wil be a problem i think. i also wanted the surgery sooner but the surgeon woudn’t listen to me. He said that it is real imporant to take the 3 months between surgery also because the surgicalwounds can heal. Because I waitet the 3 months my recovery went really quick and the surgeon said that if we do the surgery quicker it can couse many problems because of the wounds in your stumic and your conditions.

leta says:

October 18th, 2011 at 8:43 pm

I had my surgery 27 years ago and I have never looked back. I am now into my 40’s , had three beautiful children and still no major concerns after all this time. All the Best…

lauren laila says:

October 18th, 2011 at 8:48 pm

My surgeon warned me about concieving after the surgery but ur proof tht it is possible. He did also say i could only have c sections, no vaginal births, is that true?

Andy Linney says:

December 23rd, 2013 at 2:27 pm

Mark and Megan, wanted to say thank you for documenting and detailing your experience. One word…

Legends!

I am going through the same process after a 4 week rapid attack of UC this year. Had many complications along the way, but Take down in a months time, and was unsure what to expect or how to deal with new bowl movements without a colon

Preparation is everything and you’ve definitely helped me, Once again Thanks guys!!

Alice says:

January 19th, 2014 at 8:52 am

Hi, I am 2 weeks post take-down and was really struggling to find any positive stories about pouch surgery online. Your story has given me hope that I can have a healthy and happy future. UC has been my life for nearly 5 years and I’m ready to live again. Thank you for showing me this can be possible. I know it won’t be easy I expect to have hiccups along the way but after reading your story I feel a lot more positive!

Alice

Jeff says:

March 13th, 2014 at 6:01 pm

Mark,
    You are awesome chronicling your journey (Megan too!). Many thanks as I am a few weeks from my takedown and I was a bit in the dark as to what I should expect. Hope you are still doing great and know that your willingness to share has been great comfort for a great many!

Jeff says:

March 13th, 2014 at 6:02 pm

Mark,
    You are awesome for chronicling your journey (Megan too!). Many thanks as I am a few weeks from my takedown and I was a bit in the dark as to what I should expect. Hope you are still doing great and know that your willingness to share has been great comfort for a great many!

Concetta says:

July 24th, 2015 at 9:44 am

Having read this I believed it was rather enlightening.
    I appreciate you finding the time and effort to put this article together.
    I once again find myself spending way too much time both reading and leaving
    comments. But so what, it was still worthwhile!