Complications: Small Bowel Perforation

by on Sunday, December 21, 2008 21:20
This entry is filed under: j pouch surgery photos
My incision and stoma after step one

My incision and stoma after step one

During the second of three surgeries (I had a three-step surgery, instead of a two-step surgery) a complication occurred where my small bowel was perforated. Here’s what I can remember of the occurrence. Everything was fine, I even asked the surgeon to sew up my incision instead of having staples (this is usually a choice, ask for it if you want it!). The first surgery left a huge scar, and by sewing it up I could minimize the scar the second time around since they use the same incision point for surgery #2 of a three step process.

Everything was great for a day or so; I had a nice, clean incision, I felt fine. Somewhere during the second day, I remember now that it was a Thursday, I started feeling cramps — well cramps are hard to imagine considering I had my stomach slit open. Maybe “crampy” is a better way to put it. After a while, it felt as though I couldn’t relax my abdominal muscles, then I couldn’t relax almost any muscle in my body. I tried to sleep after a dose of morphine (which gives me terrible dreams by the way). My wife was sleeping on a cot in the hospital room (something she always does when I have complications). Around three am I awoke and could no longer sleep: my muscles were tense, my mind was racing, I could not relax any part of my body. I was concerned about this tensing because I didn’t want to reopen the incision that was not healed yet. My wife tried to comfort me, told me to relax, but relaxing was impossible. I can’t recall the next few hours but I went into emergency surgery early Friday morning.

My incision after step 2's emergency reopening

My incision after step 2's emergency reopening

Because they had to reopen an incision that was just closed not more than two days ago, the manner in which they closed the incision looks a little different than most people’s. See how it curves left and right (the picture is sideways: feet to the right, head to the left). I’ve posted a photo here with the hopes that it will help others. My takedown, or step three of the three-part surgery, was on 11/4/2008. I’ll post a photo of the current scar in a few days. It really isn’t that bad despite the way it looks here.

Sure, it took a little longer than most for me to recover from having two fully invasive surgeries on almost adjacent days. I was in the hospital for two weeks instead of one, and for a week or two out of the hospital I was very weak and still somewhat nauseous, but I held in there.

Hang in there everyone!

13 Responses to “Complications: Small Bowel Perforation”

J-pouch Life says:

April 21st, 2009 at 10:43 pm

[…] I’m getting the Loop one. I bet they explain in my information booklets, and Eric mentioned that it’s usually based on the patient’s health and urgency. I doodled the two types for review (and conveniently did not include poop in the drawings, free of […]

J-pouch Life says:

May 13th, 2009 at 2:28 pm

[…] this was years before I was diagnosed with Colitis, and many years before surgery to remove my colon from severe pan-colitis). The great thing about Breaking the Vicious Cycle is the recipes included with the book. It […]

bad credit auto loans orlando FL says:

July 28th, 2014 at 9:21 am

Hi friends, good paragraph and nice arguments commented at this place, I am genuinely
    enjoying by these.

car loans for people with bad credit orlando FL says:

July 30th, 2014 at 11:53 pm

I write a leave a response when I like a article on a website or I have something
    to add to the discussion. It is triggered by the sincerness communicated in the post I read.

And after this article Jpouch Life: Stories of Colitis,
    Crohn’s, IBD, Ostomy, Ileostomy & J-Pouch Surgery from around the
    world. I was moved enough to drop a thought :
    ) I actually do have a couple of questions for you if you don’t mind.

Is it only me or do a few of these comments appear like left by brain dead individuals?
    😛 And, if you are posting on other online social sites, I’d
    like to keep up with everything fresh you have to post.
    Could you make a list every one of your public pages
    like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?

used car financing orlando FL says:

July 31st, 2014 at 1:19 am

you are truly a good webmaster. The site loading velocity is amazing.
    It seems that you’re doing any unique trick. Moreover, The contents are masterwork.
    you’ve done a great activity on this matter!

no credit car loans orlando FL says:

August 1st, 2014 at 7:43 am

What i do not understood is if truth be told how you’re no longer really a lot more well-liked than you might
    be right now. You’re very intelligent. You understand therefore considerably relating to this topic,
    made me personally consider it from so many varied angles.
    Its like women and men aren’t involved unless it is
    something to do with Woman gaga! Your personal stuffs
    great. Always care for it up!

massage gold coast chicago says:

August 20th, 2014 at 9:46 pm

Hi! I know this is kind of off topic but I was wondering if you knew where I could get a captcha plugin for
    my comment form? I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m having problems finding one?
    Thanks a lot!

fad diet says:

October 30th, 2014 at 7:59 pm

fad diet

Jpouch Life: Stories of Colitis, Crohn’s, IBD, Ostomy, Ileostomy & J-Pouch Surgery from around the world

Ciekawe teksty jakie akcesoria warto Miec w swojej kosmetyczce? says:

February 20th, 2015 at 3:55 am

It’s awesome in favor of me to have a website, which is helpful in support of
    my know-how. thanks admin

www.petfund.net says:

March 1st, 2015 at 11:53 pm

Paragraph writing is also a fun, if you be
    familiar with after that you can write otherwise it is difficult
    to write.

ankara boşAnma avukatı says:

December 3rd, 2015 at 9:58 pm

What i don’t realize is actually how you’re not actually a lot more neatly-preferred than you might be right now.
    You are so intelligent. You know thus significantly when it comes to
    this subject, made me for my part consider it from numerous numerous angles.
    Its like men and women don’t seem to be involved unless it
    is something to do with Woman gaga! Your personal stuffs outstanding.
    Always deal with it up!

www.www.freewebsite-service.com says:

December 8th, 2015 at 2:57 am

Contain in nuts and your daily diet avocados , especially walnuts, cashews and
    nut butters created from these nuts.

lean muscle mass exercises says:

April 19th, 2017 at 11:01 pm