Hair Loss

by on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 21:54
This entry is filed under: UC

I”ve been having serious problems with hair loss. This may be even more of an issue for me because of my post-surgery disaster but I believe a lot of people do experience some hair loss with surgery or malnutrition. My hair is finally starting to grow back after 5 months, but I was pretty close to having a wig. I”m currently down to basically a pixie cut (so not me) but at least it”s all new hair, though still thin. Anyway, people have been pushing products on me to make my hair grow back but I didn”t want to buy/use things that wouldn”t work. I wrote an email to a group of people who produce a science podcast that I listen to and a physician answered it for me! Here are links to where the response was posted, along with some nice comments:

I recommend these sites/podcasts for quality science information (and entertainment, too!).

In addition, I can share the information I received from a clinical dietician at the hospital where I had my surgery. I’ll share the information she provided me but remember it is important to get health information that is specific to your particular health situation.

One important issue can be iron deficiency (not my issue but it”s common) so high iron foods and an iron supplement are a good idea (note: if you don”t have an iron deficiency, you shouldn”t take an iron supplement – talk to you doctor!). In addition, hair is made of protein, so the best thing to do is eat lots and lots of protein. I”m supposed to have at 60-65 grams of protein a day at minimum and I weigh 120lbs (so about .5 grams of protein per pound). Animal proteins are more easily absorbed by the body than plant proteins (and a lot of plant proteins can be high in fibre and not ideal for some people with UC or a j-pouch) so meat, cheese, milk and yogurt are good options, although I do eat some nuts and beans. I was so desperate I even started eating beef which I hadn”t eaten in 12 years! Finally, it”s a good idea to take a multivitamin. In particular, she recommended a prenatal multivitamin because they are more potent than the regular version.

Image via: JessyParr

29 Responses to “Hair Loss”

Marianne says:

December 10th, 2008 at 4:22 am

Hi Jenelle,
    I’ve been through surgery 1 of 3 2 months ago and lost a ton of hair as well and decided to cut my hair short and get a wig. Apparently it’s the shock of the surgery and malnutrition. It is temporary though but it can take up to one year before hair grows back. Considering we will be going through a second surgery, we may lose even more. I’ll be following your story. Where in Canada are you?
    All the best,
    Marianne

Jenelle says:

December 14th, 2008 at 5:59 pm

Hi Marianne,

My hair growing back now but it is very short. I am really hoping to not lose it again next time (and also hoping it will be one, not two, more surgeries, but that’s unpredictable). I have a wig now, just in case. I rarely wear it. I was also told it was malnutrition/trauma. I’m in Ontario now, though I’m from the east coast. Good luck with your surgeries to come!

Marianne says:

December 15th, 2008 at 2:03 pm

Hi Jenelle,
    Nice to hear that you are recovering…hair loss can be a little depressing in the beginning but thankfully it’s only temporary. Actually, I recently spoke to my surgeon on hair loss and he said the second surgery should not result in more hair loss if you go in and come out rather healthy. That is, maulnutrition is the main reason for hair loss from the first surgery and we head into the second surgery stronger and it also tends to be less stressful given we have time to plan for it and know what to expect. He also mentioned not to wear the wig too much because it may impede hair growth since the hair follicles need to breathe. My hair has now stopped falling as my nutrition intake improves.

I live in Montreal, Quebec. My sister is in Ontario. We are lucky in Canada because we do not have to worry that all these medical procedures and medications (Remicade!) will bankrupt our families.

I see the illness as behind me now. The illness I saw as a signal that something within my core being was really wrong. The way I see it, I traded some pain, scars and a near-death experience for a more fulfilling life and a happier self.

I’ll be reading your story and I wish you all the best!!

Marianne

Kris Reply:

Unfortunately i just had second surgery and hair loss is still so bad

Jeane says:

January 7th, 2009 at 10:39 am

You still look beautiful even without hair.
    I am going for surgery consults. Any info anyone would be willing to share would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Jeane

orthomol puppy vitamins says:

March 27th, 2014 at 11:47 am

it is a pity, that I can not participate in discussion now. it is not enough information, But with pleasure I will watch this theme orthomol Vitamin de

chloe sims fake norvell versa Spray tan reviews says:

July 30th, 2014 at 1:13 am

Allow the oil to soak into the body for at least 20 minutes and then wash it and the unsightly blotches away.
    Cultivating Tennis Champions in Singapore with our amazing tennis coaches and lessons.
    They ask for help in situations where they know that others
    have superior skills or abilities and apply their own aptitudes to those tasks for
    which they were best suited.

chloe sims starship million dollar tan reviews says:

August 13th, 2014 at 3:07 am

This product does not require sunbathing or messing with gooey unmanageable creams or complicated sprays.
    For more information and queries, feel free to visit at
    their website anytime. “The Blacklist” also stars Diego Klattenhoff, Harry Lennix,
    Ryan Eggold and Ilfenesh Hadera.

laser cap deal.info says:

August 16th, 2014 at 4:15 pm

Hair removal in some areas is essential to replace the areas where its growth has stopped.
    Eventually this can cause hair thinning or patches of bald spots.
    However, pulling on a scab that was adherent to the skin usually dislodged the
    graft – often several days after pulling on a hair was safe.

Boca Raton CPA jobs in louisiana says:

September 2nd, 2014 at 6:35 pm

Corporate Taxes: All business structures pay taxes on the income made in that particular business.
    Outsourcing accounting services for small business owners is workable for
    those who want to turn their focus on their companies and find a way to maximise their profitability.
    Every year, thousands of vacancies open up in the
    public sector.

low level laser therapy for hair loss study says:

September 4th, 2014 at 10:49 pm

This herbal solution will help you achieve picture perfect hair once more.

Electrolysis – Electrolysis is a solution which utilizes a needle to kill the hair at its root.
    Oils that are perfect for sealing are Olive oil, jojoba oil, safflower oil or castor oil.

breaking news says:

September 7th, 2014 at 7:39 pm

Wonderful whip! I need to novice whilst anyone change your web site, how might we signed up for a web site website? The actual accounts served us a adequate option. I used to be . breaking newslittle well known with this a person’s transmitted available dazzling obvious idea

home remedies for hair growth for women says:

September 25th, 2014 at 11:36 am

Even frequent blow-drying at extreme heat or brushing obsessively
    can cause your hair to become extremely fragile causing it to break and fall out.
    Refrain or limit the amount of heat applied to your hair through the use
    of blow dryers, curling irons, straighteners, etc.

black friday upright freezer deals says:

October 6th, 2014 at 6:11 pm

Your syndicate agreement does not have to be a complex document.
    For instance at a time when anglers where sticking rigidly to the mantra of 3 to 5 milliliters of flavour, plus 1 to 2 milliliters of intense sweetener to a pound of base
    mix or more, as measured by 4 large eggs or 6 medium
    eggs as a basis of measurement, I tried other approaches and reaped big rewards against
    much more experienced anglers. You can then take your armored
    vehicle and cash it in at a chop shop, creating a nice little criminal spree combo.

capillus llc says:

October 7th, 2014 at 1:52 am

FDA laser safety standards for identification, each 5-10 minutes, every 1 to 2 times will be able to achieve the maximum effect, general hair loss after three weeks there will be improved signs of immature hair growth hair loss
    site, in the course of treatment after three months, you can see the thicker and darker hair grow.
    Blow drying can damage hair as can vigorous towel drying as when the
    hair is wet it is more elastic and vulnerable to breakage.
    Regrow Hair – Hair Regrowth – It is easy to Regrow Hair and
    even make it grow faster with Procerin if your body has
    not stopped Growing New Hair and follicles altogether.

My Site says:

October 7th, 2014 at 2:41 am

My Site

Jpouch Life: Stories of Colitis, Crohn’s, IBD, Ostomy, Ileostomy & J-Pouch Surgery from around the world

marine true freezer compressors says:

October 10th, 2014 at 5:31 am

Trade transmission oil just about every 500 hours or according to manufacturer.
    It does not require acidic agent for the reaction to take place and is
    commonly used with neutral-tasting ingredients, such as milk.
    More important than the `Test’ strength of the
    line is the proper use of knots, discarding line when it
    gets frayed or damaged, and not trying to `hoist’ a fish into the air with your rod and reel.

professional cv writers montreal says:

October 30th, 2014 at 1:23 pm

professional cv writers montreal

chloe sims starship army tan boots says:

December 13th, 2014 at 5:45 am

The results in the image below were achieved by setting the Strength at 10
    and clicking twice. Sun Labs also provides a lot of individual self tanning and fake tan products that you can sell to
    your clients as they walk out the door. That way, you will never be out of
    the color you like if they happen to run out of it at the local drugstore or beauty center.

stretch jeans says:

March 28th, 2015 at 7:50 am

Hi there all, here every one is sharing these kinds of
    knowledge, thus it’s nice to read this web site, and I used to visit this blog every
    day.

it security says:

March 31st, 2015 at 3:01 pm

For most recent information you have to pay a visit world-wide-web and on web
    I found this website as a most excellent website for hottest updates.

uranium says:

April 13th, 2015 at 7:21 pm

Thanks for some other magnificent post. Where else may anyone get that type of information in such a perfect way of writing?
    I have a presentation subsequent week, and I’m on the search
    for such information.

Leopoldo says:

May 2nd, 2015 at 10:32 am

Everything posted made a lot of sense. But, think on this, suppose you added a little content?

I am not saying your information isn’t solid., but suppose you added a post title that grabbed folk’s attention? I mean Hair Loss J-pouch Life | J-pouch Life is kinda boring.
    You should look at Yahoo’s home page and see how they create news headlines to grab viewers to
    click. You might add a related video or a pic or two to get readers excited about what you’ve got to
    say. Just my opinion, it would bring your blog a
    little livelier.

Harper White says:

June 30th, 2015 at 12:35 am

One of the outstanding items i have read this week.

walk in tubs for elderly Wisconsin says:

October 11th, 2015 at 9:54 pm

Why visitors still make use of to read news papers when in this technological
    globe the whole thing is existing on web?

Distributor Baju Muslim Online Murah Jakarta says:

October 20th, 2015 at 4:39 am

At this point, you will need to find a wholesale supplier, whho you can trust,
    tto fill your inventory needs for this item. Clutch: Usedd
    by most of the women while attending social functions and weddings.
    If you have a weeb store like an e – Bay store, bee sure that your homedpage is well designed in order
    to attract customers.

skin sleeves arm says:

October 22nd, 2015 at 4:36 am

Excellent, what a blog it is! This blog presents valuable information to us,
    keep it up.

car title loans atlanta says:

October 28th, 2015 at 9:05 pm

This is one significant variable that makes this company different from other title
    leendings in Atlanta.

86Lan says:

August 20th, 2017 at 8:49 pm

I have noticed you don’t monetize your website, don’t waste your traffic, you can earn additional cash
    every month because you’ve got hi quality content. If you want to know how to make extra money,
    search for: best adsense alternative Wrastain’s tools