Hemorrhoids DO NOT rule!

by on Sunday, August 3, 2008 6:38
This entry is filed under: UC

I would like to talk about my battle with hemorrhoids and subsequent skin tags – I don’t much like them, however, they are my reality and so I live with them as best I can.  First, here is some good Mayo Clinic info on them:   Hemorrhoids explained by the Mayo Clinic  I think that it is common for us colon challenged individuals to have these issues.

I asked my surgeon about having the anal skin tabs/tabs removed, I was told that they would make my life worse if tried to remove them (I’m still somewhat unclear why this was the advice I was given, but it has worked out well for me in the long run). This was good advice because since I’ve had my jpouch they are a lot less irritating than when I had UC.  The skin tags/tabs are just left over skin now from untreated previous hemorrhoids – which I’ve offered to show Megan the beauty of them, but she always declines my offer – Although my hemorrhoid and skin tag issues are not so bad these days I do still deal with the pain of them when I experience more active butt burn.  My main tips for caring for my hemorrhoids and  skin tabs/tags are:

1.  Keep the area clean and try to not upset the skin tags into an inflammation state.

2.  I flip between products but I am a big believer for mild relief in Tucks Pads, these do soothe the area when upset.

3.  My preferred creams are 3:  Nupercanal, Tucks Cream, Cortaid Cream.  These just help with removing some of the burning and itching.  I seem to flip back and forth between these three.

Well, I figure if you are reading this blog, you are likely familiar with the ups and downs of hemorrhoids and such – and if you aren’t familiar with hemi’s then why are you reading?!  No, just kidding, you’re welcome to read even if you don’t have strange bubbles of anal nerve endings inflamed making you feel like you have a golf ball on fire in between your butt cheeks.

13 Responses to “Hemorrhoids DO NOT rule!”

Steve says:

August 21st, 2008 at 12:54 pm

Hi Mark – I came across your blog regarding hemorrhoids and skin tags. I was trying to find some info on this and the more I research on the web, the more I get confused and paranoid about what I may have. I never really had a hemorrhoid problem before or rarely even had one ever. About a month or two ago, I noticed some strange texture of skin between my butt around my anus. It felt like little bumps but also like a piece of skin that was coming out. After ignoring it for a while, I decided to get creative and try to look down there using a mirror. Now, I’ve definitely noticed some hemorrhoids but also these disturbing looking pieces of skin that seem to be around the hemorrhoids. They almost look like flaps with some whiteish or grayish bumps on them. I think there is 2-3 of these “flaps of skin.” If I do any research on the web, I can’t find pics that look like it exactly. The closest I come across is genital warts pics but I’m hoping that’s not it. If I didn’t have hemorrhoids there, I would be even more nervous and think it was genital warts but I find it strange to now have these bumpy flaps appear around the same time as hemorrhoids are present. This is now going on for a couple of months. Nothing really hurts or itches…it’s more cosmetic and annoying for now. Does any of this sound familiar to what you had? Do you have any insight as to what this may be?

mark says:

August 23rd, 2008 at 6:01 pm

Hey Steve,

Okay, well not being a doctor I can’t say for sure at all what you’ve got, but yes, is does sound familiar to my flaps. I don’t think mine really have bumps on them though, they more look like soft flaps of skin that are smooth. And I’m not familiar with what warts or fungus might look like. THat is good that it doesn’t really burn or itch because mine do tend to bother me physically a lot of the time. I think that it might be good for you to go see a doctor about it just in case there is another something going on. Or you may want to post on http://www.jpouch.org under the help now section, someone may have some better advice if they’ve had similiar symptoms to you.

Nowheet Owl says:

December 10th, 2008 at 2:58 am

It’s cool that you’ve solve your problem Mark. But bear in mind that hemorrhoid is a recurring problem caused by our daily lifestyle, I’ve listed the 8 factors that can increase our chance of having hemorrhoids. Hope this can be viewed as another helpful resource for reading.

Hemorrhoids says:

December 10th, 2008 at 11:58 am

Hi Mark,

Yes, whatever Nowheet OWL told is right. Hemorrhoids can often be effectively dealt with good diet and lifestyle changes. The best way to prevent hemorrhoids is doing exercise regularly, drinking plenty of water and increased fiber in the diet.

Thanks,
    Sarah

Jimmy says:

December 14th, 2008 at 3:43 pm

Hey Mark,

Thanks for a great post. The most important question though is what is the most optimal treatment for each person. My experience with all the pills and creams is that they never really seem to treat the root cause of the problem.

On my blog Ive made a little post which lists the main causes of hemorrhoids and what sufferers can do to alleviate the pain – check it out here

Good work!

Jimmy

ann says:

December 16th, 2008 at 8:58 am

Thanks for the post, I have been having the same problems.

healthreporter says:

December 24th, 2008 at 9:19 am

Thanks for your sense of humor regarding this delicate situation Mark. I think that laughter may even promote healing.

Julie Cooper says:

May 29th, 2009 at 11:22 am

Hi Mark, despite both my surgeries being very successful i am now left with the very,very painful issue of hemis,skin tags and a fissure that have happened to me within a week of my 2nd op to close my ileostomy which was almost 6 weeks ago.
    I went back to hospital nearly 2 weeks ago and under general anesthetic the surgeon checked for any other problems to do with the stitches joining the j pouch,that was fine. He treated me for an internal hemi and the fissure by cutting the hemi and fissure away and injecting botox. This all made me feel better for about 4 days which was fantastic until last weekend when i started to get swelling and pain on the outside of my anus. My doctor checked this out and said i had hemis and skin tags again which he gave me cream for and morphine to help me deal with the pain.
    After consulting yet again with my surgeon i am going back in to hospital next Tuesday to have the botox procedure repeated again and he said if this doesn’t work and he can’t find an obvious cause of my problem then he has no choice but to return me to having an ileostomy.
    Did you or has anyone else who reads these bloggs have had the same problems after surgery please,please let me know as i am feeling very low at the moment due to the constant pain i have been in for the past 5 weeks and don’t know how much more i can take and feeling really weak cos of fear of eating and lack of appetite etc.

Jules

Brian Hurst says:

September 21st, 2010 at 11:02 am

From what I’m reading surgery really is the last resort but there is one safe natural and painless solution to get rid of hemorrhoids and that’s with a natural remedy. Not alot of people know or have heard of it but it really does deliver results.

Thanks

Brian Hurst

gadartsingta1974 says:

May 18th, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Len Shapiro says:

September 14th, 2011 at 5:09 pm

What is the natural remedy?  I am in constant pain and doctor says they cannot remove the hemis because of a blood flow problem that would occur.  Please let me know the natural rememdy because that is my preference.  Tyhank you

sexshop says:

April 3rd, 2012 at 1:40 pm

sexshop…

[…]Jpouch Life: Stories of Colitis, Crohn’s, IBD, Ostomy, Ileostomy & J-Pouch Surgery from around the world[…]…

vibrator rabbit says:

September 14th, 2014 at 10:05 am

First of all I want to say awesome blog! I had a quick question that I’d
    like to ask if you do not mind. I was interested to find out
    how you center yourself and clear your head prior to writing.

I have had a hard time clearing my mind in getting my thoughts out.
    I truly do enjoy writing however it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes tend to
    be lost just trying to figure out how to begin. Any suggestions or hints?

Appreciate it!