Potential Problems After Surgery

by on Sunday, June 29, 2008 5:34
This entry is filed under: Ulcerative Colitis

Many people are concerned about the longevity of their jpouch. How long will it last?  What types of complications might potentially occur?  Here is a link to an excellent site that gives you really good in-depth and objective info on the Potential Problems Following J-Pouch Surgery

Image to the left shows the large intestine and rectum removed, the formation of the temporary ileostomy, and the jpouch.  The whole series of photos can be found by clicking on the following jpouch.org link.

Image via:  Jpouch.org

17 Responses to “Potential Problems After Surgery”

John says:

July 22nd, 2008 at 4:56 am

Hi there, I had a j pouch constructed 9 years ago and after all the initial setbacks eg:-10 15 toilet stops a day, it settled down to around 8 to 10 visits a day and 1 or 2 during the night.
    Six months ago I developed a feeling of extreme tiredness and hot and cold sweats followed by vague abdominal pain, eventualy I collapsed in a heap only to find myself in emergency surgery for peritonitis. After the surgery was completed I was informed that the J pouch had perforated at the seam and the pouch had to taken down leaving me with a permanent Ileostomy. As much as this is disappointing I was wondering if anyone else has had such an experience. regards from John in Australia

mark says:

July 23rd, 2008 at 3:07 am

John,

That is the first time I’ve read about a situation where the pouch tears at the seam – I bet thought you are not the only one that this has happened to. Have you ever shared your story on jpouch.org? I bet there we could find some more info out similiar situations as yours.

How are you doing living with the ileo? I know Rob on who posted a few days ago is going in for a perm ileo soon for major cancer complications.

Mark

John says:

July 24th, 2008 at 3:22 am

Mark,

I absolutley hate this Ileostomy, as much as I have to put up with it its awful.My surgeon said my quality of life should improve no end after a while and assured me I would be better off as I am. But I,m not so sure I mean it was real convenient to sit on the loo rather than mess around with this bag. But I have to wait and see as she (surgeon ) said I have to give it 6 months before I condemn the Ileostomy.
    Thanks for your interest regards from John

daryl says:

November 8th, 2009 at 5:15 pm

is there anyone out there with a jpouch that is experiencing frequent burning, i have regular bouts of what seems like my bum is on fire, creams and more creaams only work for awhile, what could be causing this? i have had my jpouch for ten years and i can handle the regular trips to the bathroom but this burning is holding me back from enjoying life as i should, there is no warning, it just comes on, please if you have any suggestions or experiences i would be eternally grateful. cheers daryl

Mark Reply:

Daryl, See below comment from Tim and myself.

Christina Reply:

You might have ulcers in your pouch. I’ve tried anti-heartburn medication and it has seem to fix things for me. Avoid NSAIDs for pain too.

Mark says:

November 9th, 2009 at 6:49 am

What you are calling “frequent burning” is what we all call so blatantly “BUTT BURN.” There are a couple things I could suggest for you to consider (1) Learn more about fiber supplements because i was told in the hospital to use Benefiber ONLY when I had the ostomy and to use Metamucil when ONLY when I had the takedown. Apparently Metamucil will make you too thick when you have the ostomy and works better after you have the takedown. (2) As for the butt burn when you get your fiber regulated, you might also want to try slowing your system down by using something like immodium, that will cut down on some BM’s. and (3) You might want to try NOT WIPING but pressing to absorb the waste and then use a wet wipe to clean the waste residue. (4) There are a ton of cream options out there and you might want to try exploring other options, I go inbetween being a fan of Tucks cream or my ultimate favorite cortizone cream. (5) And after 10 years why your pouch is acting up to give you BB is a bit odd so you may want to contact your GI and let them know. (6) Has anthing in your diet changed lately? Are you on any new medicines? I know when I eat poorly my BB acts up. Also over at http://www.jpouch.org, they have a great forum for BB related concerns and you will get lots of feedback there to maybe help ease your concerns. If you go to their “Find” section and type in burning, or butt burn you’ll find lots of pre-answered comments.

Tim says:

November 15th, 2009 at 5:57 pm

Daryl, had my pouch done in 1991 had my share of ups and downs along with a blockage needing a resection summer of 08. As I have gotten older my joints have given me some problems and with taking anti-inflamitory drugs my fanny will come alive with burning and in general great irratation. So I have taken them off the list of things to take. You might want to take a look and see if that might be a problem. The one ointment that has worked for me with all that we go through with our lower units is Calmoseptine ointment. Get in and see you Dr. Good luck.

Rhonda says:

August 7th, 2010 at 10:12 am

I had my j-pouch done in 2002 and I end up with a case of pouchitis like every six months. I also have the burning, it feels like my but is on fire and I aslo have a pain that I can not even begin to describe in my rectum every time I use the bathroom. Do anyone else have this severe pain?

pamela brown Reply:

ive had my j pouch 5 yrs and like you have had a lot of problems using toilet
    from 6pm in the evening non stop i am like a recluse and am considering going
    back to a bag and like yourself after an evening inside my rectum is in pain cant stand it anymore sorry your having same problems but bag was so much easier to cope with .

marissa says:

September 29th, 2010 at 4:37 pm

i have the bag.but my doc is saying i might can get the j pouch cause i am so tired of having the bag.so should i go ahead an get the j pouch or should i just keep my bag.someone help me out here cause i’m not sure what to do.

pamela brown Reply:

i can only tell you 5 yrs ago i was offered the reversal and after a long hard think i took the reversal…..today i regret it i have had more problems tha
    n i ever anticipated never expected it to be like this unfortunatly after lots of bouts of pouchitis and but burn rectum pain and frequent bowel movements that control my life night time incontenience the list goes on …..please please think about it carefully im going back to a bag it was easier to live with at least i was not confined to the house so much and im forced to sit on any public lav available and they can be horrible at times at least with a bag you dont even have to remove your underwear to empty ……i have cried at nights with lack of sleep as my frequency sarts at 6pm and continues all evening i have been in hospital had the pouch examined and its healthy ive treid all forms of treatment but nothing helps …if the bag is working for you keep it .

mike Reply:

no marissa, dont do it…here’s why: butt burn is so painful that I cant even begin to explain what it feels like. Imagine battery acid coming out your butt hole or imagine sitting on a camp fire bare butt! the only good thing about a jpouch is you dont have to mess with a bag but after a year with it i wish i would have kept the bag because i would not have to be using creams, vicodin, protiein/fiber to control the frequency of bowel movements and burning pain! with a jpouch you will be anchored to the toilet between 5-25 times a day depending on how much you eat.

lafem says:

April 29th, 2011 at 12:38 pm

J pouch surgery is NOT a cure. Fuck those doctor bastards. Get the word out to people necessary ? YES. A cure ? NO!

Mary BEth Catterton Reply:

LAFEM DID YOU NOT HAVE THE DISEASED INTESTINES REMOVED FIRST THEN THE J POUCH I WOULD REALLY LIKE MORE INFO SO I COULD ALSO UNDERSTAND MY SURGERY IS A DAY AWAY mARY bETH

Beatrice says:

March 4th, 2014 at 9:14 pm

I found a direct link with BUTT BURN to be butter or margarine. Anything with too much butter caused a horrible on fire feeling and would have to soak in the tub, and sometimes use Nupercanal (sp). It went away when I just stayed away from excessive butter.

In the beginning, carbonated beverages bothered me as well, but will have an occasional one now and then.

Anything super spicy is probably  a BB after dinner, so try to stay away from that.
    I am so very happy with my J Pouch – what a life difference! Feel normal now.
    It did take a few years of softer bland foods, now is just about anything (but butter!)

robinsonkgvp.bloghi.com says:

April 22nd, 2014 at 4:39 am

I think that everything said was very reasonable.
    But, what about this? what if you wrote a catchier
    title? I am not suggesting your content isn’t good, however what if
    you added a post title to possibly grab a person’s attention?
    I mean Jpouch Life: Stories of Colitis, Crohn’s, IBD, Ostomy, Ileostomy & J-Pouch Surgery from around the world is kinda plain.
    You could look at Yahoo’s front page and watch how they create post titles to grab people to click.
    You might try adding a video or a picture or two to get
    people excited about what you’ve got to say. In my opinion,
    it would make your posts a little livelier.